- 06-Apr-2017 to 05-Jun-2017 (EST)
- Woodbury, MN, USA
- Part Time
- Metro Urology
Metro Urology, a division of Minnesota Urology has an exciting opportunity for a part-time Histotechnician! This position would be based out of our Woodbury, MN office. The schedule for this position would be Monday through Friday from 5:00am - 9:00am.
- Performs routine and specialized procedures in the histology laboratory which includes, embedding, microtomy, accessioning, maintenance, IHC and cytology preparation following a procedure accurately. Primary focus of this role will consist of embedding and cutting.
- Assists pathologist, histology lead and other histotechnicians perform daily laboratory functions.
- Performs quality control and quality assurance program appropriate for testing performed in the histology lab.
- Coordinates and consults with the histology lead or lab manager to resolve technical problems and take remedial action whenever a test systems deviate from the laboratory established performed specifications.
- Assists in verification of histology test procedures and helps establish the criteria.
- Assists in ordering and maintaining histology laboratory supplies.
- Cross - train into the clinical laboratory with the ability to perform urine microscopy, dip stick urine testing, set up of urine analyzers for testing, and processing of clinical samples for testing.
- Ability to answer questions for histology and clinical laboratory or direct to proper person. (I.E. phone calls, drop-in patients, and answering the door bell).
- Assist in updating, initiating, and implementing new histology policies and procedures.
- Complies with all CLIA and federal guidelines.
- Complies with all state and county guidelines for hazardous waste disposal.
- Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS/ABILITIES TO EFFECTIVELY PERFORM RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and attitude with staff, managers, directors, providers, vendors and patients.
- Demonstrate the ability to exercise independent judgement and work under general supervision.
- Ability to analyze work methods to effectively organize work, multitask, make improvements, and problem solve.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work efficiently with laboratory manager, laboratory director, management, providers, staff and patients.
- Demonstrate manual dexterity and basic computer/keyboard skills.
- Supportive of the goals and objectives of Metro Urology.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Histotechnician (ASCP) certification or Histotechnologist (ASCP) certification
- 1 2 years of experience in a clinical laboratory
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite preferred. Knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) products such as Orchard and UroChart preferred
EQUIPMENT USED: Computer keyboard and monitor, calculator, writing utensils, telephone, copy/fax machine, and histology equipment use for testing and procedures.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting and standing for long periods of time. Working in an office/laboratory environment. Some bending and stretching required. Ability to lift 50 lbs. Working in a fast paced environment and use of telephone required. Manual dexterity required for use of calculator and computer keyboard.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Fast paced lab and clinical environment. Contact with physicians, management, staff, patients and vendors.
Minnesota Urology P.A. is an equal opportunity employer.