- 09-Feb-2017 to 10-May-2017 (EST)
- Woodbury, MN, USA
- Full Time
- Metro Urology
Medical, Dental, Basic Life, Short Term/Long Term Disability, HSA, Flexible Spending, 401K Match, PTO and Holiday
TITLE: Medical Laboratory Technician
DEPARTMENT: Laboratory Services
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE/SUMMARY: Performs all in-house laboratory testing as well as preparing samples for reference lab testing. Perform phlebotomy, specimen processing, urinalysis, urine microscopy, chemistry, immunoassay, hematology, microbiology as well as some manual testing. Responsible for instrument maintenance, quality control as well as quality assurance. Ensures compliance with all Clinical Laboratory Improvements Amendments (CLIA) and Federal guidelines. Performs and helps coordinate all in-house and external laboratory testing. Work location will be at our Woodbury, MN office. Primary work schedule is 10:00am - 6:30pm with the potential of a variable schedule as needed. This position is required to work on a weekend rotation and a rotating holiday schedule.
- Responsible for ensuring all in-house testing is performed in an accurate and timely fashion
- Performing maintenance on all laboratory equipment as well as being able to troubleshoot the equipment
- Demonstrate decision-making abilities and escalates issues to the proper persons when needed
- Coordinates and consults with the lab manager and laboratory lead to resolve technical problems and take remedial action whenever a test systems deviate from the laboratory established performed specifications
- Participates in regular proficiency testing as well as periodic competency testing
- Ensures patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and test systems are properly functioning
- Maintains sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain standard laboratory equipment with budgetary guidelines
- Assist with daily lab draws
- Comply with all CLIA and federal guidelines
- Other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and attitude with staff, managers, directors, providers, vendors and patients
- Demonstrates flexibility with time and hours based on the clinical and laboratory needs
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to analyze work methods to effectively organize work, multitask, make improvements, and problem solve
- Ability to effectively communicate and work efficiently with laboratory manager, laboratory director, management, providers, staff and patients
- Supportive of the goals and objectives of Minnesota Urology
- Committed member of the Minnesota Urology Team
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of an AMA approved technical program or an associate/bachelors degree in a biological science.
- Medical Laboratory Technician (ASCP) certification or Medical Technologist (ASCP) certification preferred. Will be required to get certified within the first 9 months of employment
- Three to Five years of experience in laboratory techniques preferred but not necessary
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite preferred. Knowledge of Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) products such as Orchard and UroChart preferred
EQUIPMENT USED: Computer keyboard and monitor, calculator, writing utensils, telephone, copy/fax machine, and laboratory equipment use for testing and procedures.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Requires standing for long periods of time. Working in an office/laboratory environment. Some bending and stretching required. Ability to lift 50 lbs. Manual dexterity required.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Fast paced lab and clinical environment. Contact with physicians, management, staff, patients and vendors.
Minnesota Urology P.A. is an equal opportunity employer.